Sunday, January 2, 2022

WRITTEN BY RICH HOSEK PODCAST

The next books in both the Raney/Daye Investigation and From the Files of  Eddie Horne books series will be coming out the first half of 2022. While I'm polishing those up (and getting ready for the 3rd Raney and Daye mystery) I'm devoting some of my daily word count to writing short stories. 

I started my writing career when I was in college, hammering out science fiction stories on my Sears electric typewriter, and later my Commodore 128 computer with a word processor I typed in from the pages of a computer magazine. After a few years and dozens of rejections, I finally sold a story for $100. Well, $25 in advance, the rest due on publication. I don't think it ever got published because I never saw that $75, but that was enough for me to consider giving writing a try and moving out the Hollywood as the closest thing I could find to running away to join the circus.

Eventually, my writing partner, Arnold Rudnick, and I found some modest success in television, won an award for our work on The New Addams Family, and wrote the teleplay that became Near Death, the first Raney/Daye Investigation. Along the way, I had stopped writing short stories, focusing more on television spec scripts and screenplays, and more recently I've taken up novel writing as my primary creative outlet.

But I had a few good stories from back then, and even more in the corners of my mind that have been kicking around for years. So, one of my New Years resolutions is to write a short store a week. I'm using the Reedsy Prompts (https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/rich-hosek/) as a starting point for some of them. Not sure if any will win the grand prize of $250--or any award for that matter--they are usually written in one setting and are very much first drafts. But who knows, perhaps one will spark an idea of a more refined story, or even a novel. I do promise you that they are, nonetheless, entertaining stories and I think you'll enjoy them. So, in addition to posting them on the Reedsy site, I'll be recording them as an audio podcast.

The Written By Rich Hosek podcast is available so far on Spotify, Amazon, Audible and Google Podcasts. More platforms to come as I get around to signing up my feed. You can also listed directly on the podcast website (https://writtenbyrichhosek.castos.com/) if you prefer. I hope you'll subscribe, as I'll be making these available for free in hopes you might like them well enough to check out my books.

I sometimes will tune in to an episode of the old CBS Radio Mystery Theater which ran at 10:30pm on my local station when I was a kid. I had been a fan of old time radio, and the stories hosted by E.G. Marshall were always fun to listen to--though I must confess, I rarely was able to stay up all the way to the end. One of the most prolific writers on the series was named Sam Dann (https://www.cbsrmt.com/writer/13-dann-sam.html) who wrote over 300 of the nearly 1400 episodes that were produced. I don't know if it was because his name was so memorable, but it seemed like I heard Mr. Marshall tell us that "Tonight's episode was written especially for the CBS Radio Mystery Theater by Sam Dann," pretty much every night. Regardless, I was and am impressed and inspired that he was able to write so many stories for the program. There are podcast channels devoted to the show, I encourage you to take a listen. 

So, in the tradition of all the writers for CBSRMT, who produced a daily radio mystery drama for eight years, I present my podcast, written especially for the internet by Rich Hosek. Find it on your favorite podcast platform (hit me up on Twitter or Gettr @RichHosek if you don't and I'll get it make sure I get it out there) and subscribe, like and review.

Thanks, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

WRITTEN BY RICH HOSEK PODCAST

The next books in both the Raney/Daye Investigation and From the Files of  Eddie Horne books series will be coming out the first half of 202...